Thursday, February 13, 2014

#NEONLIGHTSTOUR


I was one with the hundreds of pubescent girls that attended Demi Lovato's opening night for her Neon Lights Tour.

I don't care that she's not someone "cool enough" for people my age to hear about. People who judge others based on the music they listen to can suck my dick. You are just as horrible as Justin Bieber. That's right, I compared you to a glossy-eyed mugshot Canadian kid.

I wouldn't go far as to call myself a Lovatic; but I did watch her grow up from Camp Rock, to falling in love with the adorable coupling of Sonny and Chad. (I stopped watching the show after she went to rehab, what happened to the couple anyway???)



I admired her for everything she's done for the millions of people affected by self-esteem issues, and mental illness. You can have your own opinion about her music, and Disney background, but you can't deny that she has transformed her life completely since her meltdown and is changing the world in enormous ways that we can only hope to do.

We got pretty good seats on the side of the stage just three rows up. This is probably the best seats I will ever get for less than $100 for such a household name. I remember attending Britney Spear's concert, my seat was wayyyyy up in the upper bowl and tickets were already $108CAD. -___- (Yes I know their star power are completely different.)

Kat & I

Although I did watch the X-Factor season that Fifth Harmony was on, I wasn't too crazy about them. In fact, I remember not liking Ally from the group because her audition tape seemed a bit too "celebrity hungry." They probably edited it really bad because all I remember was her saying how she can't wait to have her own celebrity fragrance, clothing line, headphones, eyelash, franchise, rock... anything that a celebrity would slap their name on for some extra pocket cash. Although Fifth Harmony didn't win the competition, I couldn't believe Simon and LA Reid still insisted on promoting them because I really didn't want Ally to win. LOL

Whatever. I'll look past that cause the poor girl does seem genuine sweet and can sing.

I do secretly hope they succeed in being equivalent to One Direction's success because I think we need some more girl power in this industry. But after seeing Little Mix, I think we already found our answer.

But I really really hope for the sake of these girls that they get a new stylist. LIKE ASAP. Poor girls were dressed in cheaptastic tacky clothes that could be found in those big chain stores like Sirens/Urban Behaviour/Wet Seal. They did sparkle all wrong.

Not gonna lie though, I've recently added Miss Movin' On to my playlist. So they got that going for them.

I obviously was not prepared for the concert because it slipped my mind that LITTLE MIX was opening as well. And all I can say is, WOW! Huge difference from the first rookie group. Such power, such stage presence. Fifth Harmony, you'll get there one day. :-)

I loved all the songs they performed; DNA, Wings, Little Me, Salute to name a few. ;) Little Mix reeked nothing but female empowerment.

And no wonder Perrie Edwards managed to snag herself a One Direction... she's so effing cute!!!

"Sorry guys, my mic fell down ME pants." - Perrie pausing the performance after finishing a song.

*dies* Perrie, Perrie, how we all wish we could BE that mic. And the fact that she has a British accent just adds to her perfect little package. Fucking bitch. She's like a fairy. O_o

They said they were going to follow everyone that hash-tagged #LITTLEMIXVANCOUVRE. So far I haven't gotten any new follows on Twitter. Rotten marketing... #notamused.

At this point, I was really excited for Demi's appearance.

Although I've only been to two concerts; Britney Spears and Selena Gomez. Both of them were amazing experiences that left me fan-girling for days, replaying the whole album, and youtubing concert performances. ANYTHING, to relive the night.

They both had a theme, and "story" in their show. Britney's Femme Fatale was about her being a secret agent and being stalked by some creepy obsessed dude. Yes, how original.

So obviously I attended this concert expecting some sort of story to take place.

One of the most exciting moments is the opening.

The wait.

The anticipation.

The teasing beginning melodies of your favourite song.

And then, the grand entrance.

The band started playing the familiar chords of Heart Attack and among the screaming fans I was thinking, "YES! This is a good song to open with!!" The stage had a screen at the center that continuously played a video of a pretty looking Demi starring at the camera longingly, looking away, starring it down, walking away, walking around, you get the point.


Then you start to hear Demi's voice singing but you don't see her. I'm like looking everywhere for her to pop up. Then all of a sudden she appears in the middle of the stage from the bottom of the floor. (Whatever that stage thing is called.)



I was like.. Wait, that's it? That's the grand entrance?

Okay, whatever. Heart Attack is such an amazing song and her voice was phenomenal. She wore a simple rock outfit. Something very different from the previous two glamorous concerts. Thought it was really cool she chose to wear flat boots instead of heels as well.


After she finished the song, I thought she would greet us with a "HELLO WHATS UP VANCOUVER? HOW YOU DOING TONIGHT!!" Then introduce the next song. Nope. She dove right onto the next song, and the following three.

The concert's overall pace felt really fast. I guess you can either love it or hate it because there is not as much build up in between songs. But in my opinion, I did not like it!! I wish she took the time to interact with the audience more, and go into more details about the songs.

Then all of a sudden she disappeared and I assumed it was for an outfit change. The stage started becoming smoky and blue, then all of a sudden the fans started screaming. I couldn't see through the fog but when I looked up at the screen, I couldn't help but jump as well.

IT WAS NICK FUCKING JONAS.


My favourite Jonas Brothers. I was so happy he came. I'm like when does Vancouver ever get a surprise guest appearance??? We're not that *popular* as a city compared to Toronto to get one! Unless he's a permanent guest on that tour... but happy to see Nick nonetheless!

He sang some of his songs from his solo album which I actually don't know. I listened to it once and never really got into it. #badfan #notevenatruefan

Then finally she spoke to the audience. And as expected, Demi's words were very inspirational and personal. She spoke about wanting to connect to the audience "one on one" and how important that was to her.

Unlike past concerts I've been to, this tour had a much lower production set. She only had a band, and two back up singers. That's it. Not a single dancer. Just a big stage for her to dominate. And I guess maybe this goes in with her tactic to be "one on one" with the audience. Not about crazy dance moves and flying shit! Which was a nice change to see. And I can't help but be amazed how Demi basically took the stage by herself for an hour! Talk about balls deep, and being incredibly courageous to do so. O________O I can't even do a presentation for five minutes, let alone sing to hundreds of people for that long.

Every performance was amazing, and vocals were on point. I keep asking How the hell does she do that? Her songs are not easy to sing.. and to have to sing it for such a long period of time. Damn, such talent and strength from a small girl!

When Demi paused again to introduce her next song, "I was honoured to be a part of a Oscar-nominated film this past year..." I was like wtf she didn't act? Then it hit me, FROZEN.

I screamed so loud, and it was probably my favourite part of the concert. Yes sorry Nick Jonas. XD I think many many people who enjoyed the film will look forward to this part!

LET IT GOOOOOOOO, LET IT GOOOOOOOOOO!

Demi then "ended" the night with Neon Lights, said a short thanks and hopped off stage.

I was thinking, Seriously this couldn't be it right? It was just a bit past 10..

But of course.. there's the planned encore.

I mean how can she not sing SKY SCRAPER right?

After five mins, the stage reopened and Demi emerged with an OUTFIT CHANGE. Noticed that she did not change her outfit even once the whole concert.

She beautifully sang the ballad, followed with Give Your Heart a Break.

I love Demi. She's outrageously talented, friendly, and an amazing performance. I was just surprised by the production stage. It was very different, and has a more casual approach. I guess it's to get that "one on one" connection with the audience. But I felt that there should have been a bit more interaction with the audience, and have a slower pace. My expectation of a story disappointed me as well.



And I was bummed she didn't sing Fix a Heart!

Oh well.

No regrets were made.

Demi Lovato concert pictures taken from Demi Lovato Daily.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read, and comment! I'll be sure to comment back asap. ;) Have a nice day! Xo.